My name is Cara Jensen, and I am the Democratic Committeewoman of the 8th Ward in the City of St. Louis. This is my second term as Committeewoman, previously I was a board member of the Eighth Ward Independent Democratic Association (EWIDA), former president of the Shaw Neighborhood Improvement Association, have co-chaired the Grand South Grand House Tour, and founded Sherlock Homes, a historical research company. My husband and I reside in the Shaw neighborhood where our two children attend St. Louis Public Schools.
I am honored to work closely with Alderman Stephen Conway, the EWIDA, all of our Democratic elected officals , as well as many other local community leaders and activists.
I believe that a Committeewoman should advocate, educate, and inspire. Advocate your wishes to the Democratic Party. Educate you on the issues that will affect your life. Inspire a passion for the Democratic process that will translate your voices into action. I will use my expertise, my enthusiasm and my tenacity to represent your voice as your Committeewoman in the 8th Ward to the best of my ability.
About the 8th Ward: The 8th Ward includes the Shaw, Southwest Garden and Tower Grove East neighborhoods of St. Louis, Missouri. It also includes the Missouri Botanical Gardens, Tower Grove Park and parts of the Grand South Grand Business District.
What is a Committeewoman?
I get asked this question a lot so I’d like to take a moment to explain the roles and responsibilities of this position. A Democratic Committeewoman does the following:
1. Encourages people to become involved in the Democratic process
2. Recruits people into the Democratic Party by presenting the ideas and beliefs of the Party in an open and public manner in forums around the area
3. Provides training and workshops to its members and other Democrats, so that they might be better able to involve themselves in electoral politics and the political process
4. Stimulates discussion of important issues facing the Ward, the City of St. Louis, the state of Missouri, and the nation
5. Supports the electoral efforts of Democrats
6. Educates Ward residents regarding current ballot initiatives and policy objectives of the Democratic Party
7. Serves as a voice for the future of the Missouri Democratic Party in the City of St. Louis
A Committeewoman must be on top of what is going on at the neighborhood, ward, city, and state level. I spend a great deal of time researching and understanding the current political climate, reviewing legislation and considering how it could affect the residents of the 8th ward. As your Committeewoman, I wish to bring this information to you, get your feedback and provide your thoughts to our legislators.